Thread: Pixar head of story and voice actor has died in accicent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Pixar head of story and voice actor has died in accicent 
    The Bonds of Dancing Waters Kairi Li's Avatar
    Joe Ranft, the awesome guy who did the voice of Heimlich the German caterpillar from Bug's life, Wheezy from Toy story, and the french cleaner shrimp from Nemo. The world has lost a great story teller and a voice actor....

http://www.animated-news.com/archives/00003833.html

http://www.marinij.com/marin/ci_2952266

Crash kills Marin Oscar nominee
    by Mark Prado

A Corte Madera man who made millions of moviegoers smile and laugh through his work at Pixar Animation Studios died this week in Mendocino County when a car in which he was a passenger flipped down a hillside and landed in a river.
    Joe Ranft, 45, was an Oscar nominee who made a career as an animator working on such blockbusters as "The Little Mermaid," "Hercules," "Beauty and the Beast" and "Toy Story," and providing voices for characters such as Heimlich from "A Bug's Life," and Jacques in "Finding Nemo."

Ranft was en route to a Mendocino retreat Tuesday with two men from the Watts area of Los Angeles. The program, called Mosaic, pairs successful businessmen with men who are trying to straighten out their lives, said neighbor and friend Pat Ravasio.

"These retreats were very spiritual," said Ravasio, who knew Ranft for 10 years. "These were disadvantaged men he was hoping to help and inspire."

Ranft apparently let one of the men, 32-year-old Elegba Earl of Los Angeles, drive his 2004 Honda Element. They were northbound on Highway 1 at 3 p.m., traveling at about 30 mph, when the right wheels of the vehicle left the roadway along a sweeping left-hand curve, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The driver corrected to the left, but the vehicle crossed the opposite lane and continued off the side of the road and down a hill, tumbling end over end twice before landing in the Novarro River about 130 feet below the road, according to the CHP.

Both Ranft and Earl, who were wearing seat belts, died at the scene. The other passenger, Eric Frierson, 39, was able to escape through the vehicle's moon roof. He was taken to Mendocino Coast Hospital and treated for moderate injuries.

Ranft "was always so concerned about everyone else, he wanted to make sure everyone else was having fun," said neighbor and friend Bret Osborn, who also knew Ranft for 10 years. "He was a big wig at Pixar, but you would never know it by the way he carried himself. He inspired everyone that he touched."

His friends recalled that when he remodeled his home he turned the garage into a pavilion for neighborhood gatherings and an annual block party.

"He was the biggest-hearted, warmest father and nicest friend," Ravasio said. "The loss is just unbearable."

In a prepared statement, Emeryville-based Pixar studios simply stated: "Joe was a beloved member of the Pixar family."

Born in Pasadena, the 6-foot-5 Ranft began his career as a storyboard artist with Disney in 1980, after attending the California Arts Institute in Valencia.

"The teachers we had were great old Disney veterans who were in their 70s," Ranft told the Independent Journal in 1998, saying he learned volumes from Bill Pete, a retired Disney storyboard artist and Ranft's "hero."

A storyboard is a 4-by-8-foot board on which a series of sketches of characters and scenes are arranged in sequence for outlining the action of a film. In "A Bug's Life," for example, Ranft and his crew of eight storyboard artists produced 27,500 drawings on about 70 storyboards. Each board usually encompasses anywhere from 30 seconds to several minutes of actual screen time.

Once the storyboards are completed, the sketches are made into reels, where the sketches are projected in sequence prior to creating the actual animation.

"It's almost like you conceive it, write it and then when you draw it up and put it on the reels, you're kind of proving it," Ranft told the Independent Journal. He was among a group of Pixar animators nominated for an Academy Award for their work on "Toy Story."

He enjoyed doing voice work as well.

"You're creating a personality from scratch," he told the Independent Journal. "People talk about them like they are real and they are kind of real. They live in people. I really enjoy that."

Ranft is survived by his wife, Su, and two children, Jordy, 13, and Sophia 9.

Pixar is planning a memorial for fans and others at a later date.
    http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/642/642837p1.html

Find out more about him above.

He's one of the reason why Pixar has retained the heart of Disney can still can tell great stories, mouning for him dosnt even cut it, we have lost a great film maker, performer, voice actor and most importantly, Story teller.

Fare well Joe Ranft, may he rest in peace...

Joe Ranft
    1960-2005
    Beloved Pixar Family Member and Friend

2. #2 Re: Pixar head of story and voice actor has died in accicent 
    Another talented voice actor lost to a tragic event. Rest in peace Joe you will truly be missed.

3. #3 Re: Pixar head of story and voice actor has died in accicent 
    Oh no!
    i loved Heimlich... (;_;
    Rest in peace, Mr Ranft

4. #4 Re: Pixar head of story and voice actor has died in accicent 
    I do hate it when this planet looses the good ones. A selfless and extremely talented man. He will be an extremely tough act to follow and in many aspects totally irraplacable.

Wes du hal sir, may your stories echo in the lofts of the high hall. Wassail.

5. #5 Re: Pixar head of story and voice actor has died in accicent 
    How sad, he will allways be remembered for adding a certain something to some awesome films.

6. #6 Re: Pixar head of story and voice actor has died in accicent 
    Gah...I hate it when things like this happen. There's just no sense to it...
    Rest in peace, Mr.Ranft.

7. #7 Re: Pixar head of story and voice actor has died in accicent 

8. #8 Re: Pixar head of story and voice actor has died in accicent 
    A Little Girl In A Big VA World Iwakura__Lain's Avatar
    Rest in peace.... *cries*
    Hello everyone!

9. #9 Re: Pixar head of story and voice actor has died in accicent 
    The Bonds of Dancing Waters Kairi Li's Avatar
    http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/artic...le.php?ID=1603

You know, it's one thing to have to write a tribute about someone like a John Hench or a Frank Thomas. A man in his 90's who had died after being lionized by their peers ... Writing an article like that is really not all that tough.

Don't get me wrong. It's still sad and all. And you genuinely feel bad for that artist's friends and family. But -- at the same time -- there's still this sense of "Well, at least they lived a long, full life. And they knew that people truly appreciated them ..."

Copyright Pixar Animation Studios

Whereas trying to sum up the life of someone like Joe Ranft ... A man who was only 45 when he suddenly got snatched away from us ... That's just brutal.

I mean, here was a guy who was still operating at the top of his game. Who was rabidly pursued by virtually every major animation studio in the business. Not just because Joe was a top storyman. The type of guy who could wade into a truly troubled picture and quickly help to turn it around. But because Mr. Ranft was sweet & funny & kind & great to hang around with ...

*Sigh*

It's been said that "Only the good die young." Well, that's one cliche that must be true. Because they really don't come much better than Joe Ranft.

I mean, when you look back over his body of work, it's hard to believe that Joe accomplished so much in such a short span of time. Over the past twenty years, if there was some sort of ground-breaking animated film in the works, chances are that Mr. Ranft played an active part in its creation.

Take a look at this partial list of Joe's credits:

"The Brave Little Toaster"
    "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"
    "Oliver & Company"
    "The Rescuers Down Under"
    "The Little Mermaid"
    "Beauty & the Beast"
    "The Nightmare Before Christmas"
    "The Lion King"
    "Toy Story"
    "James and the Giant Peach"
    "A Bug's Life"
    "Toy Story 2"
    "Fantasia 2000"
    "Monsters, Inc."
    "Monkeybone"
    "Finding Nemo"
    "The Incredibles"

That's a truly impressive bunch of movies. And each of them was made better because Joe Ranft worked on them.

I know, I know. There was more to this man than just the films he worked on. Joe had a wife. He had two kids. Mr. Ranft had friends that stretched all the way back to the time he spent growing up in Whittier, CA., to his two years studying at Cal Arts, to the days he spent working at Hyperion, Disney, Skellington & Pixar.

That's why there are literally hundreds of people who are going to mourn Joe's loss. Who are going to miss Mr. Ranft not just because he could do funny voices (I.E. Heimlich in "A Bug's Life" & Wheezy in "Toy Story 2") or because Joe could do magic tricks. No, Joe Ranft was loved & will be missed because he was this big sweet bear of a guy. Who really lit up a room whenever he walked in.

By all rights, Joe should have been with us for decades yet to come. He was a man who still had a lot of great stories to tell. To lose someone like this over something as senseless as a car accident is just ... cruel. Difficult to understand right now.

I mean, how can someone who was so full of life, who still had so much left to do ... be gone?

Copyright Pixar Animation Studios

The staff of JHM mourns the untimely passing of Joe Ranft & wishes to extend its heartfelt condolences to his friends & family during their time of sorrow.

10. #10 Re: Pixar head of story and voice actor has died in accicent 
    "The Brave Little Toaster"
    "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"
    "Oliver & Company"
    "The Rescuers Down Under"
    "The Little Mermaid"
    "Beauty & the Beast"
    "The Nightmare Before Christmas"
    "The Lion King"
    "Toy Story"
    "James and the Giant Peach"
    "A Bug's Life"
    "Toy Story 2"
    "Fantasia 2000"
    "Monsters, Inc."
    "Monkeybone"
    "Finding Nemo"
    "The Incredibles"

Every one of these movies are classics...its amazing to me that he had something to do with all these amazing movies. I saddens me to know that he died.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast