Thread: Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English Dub Project on the TurboGrafx-CD .

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. #1 Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English Dub Project on the TurboGrafx-CD . 

Auditions are over

Cast

~MALE~

Eldeel - Michael Hillard

Lefance - SkyeWelse

Garuda - Lawrence "MasakoX" Simpson

Grandfather Jeff - Michael Hillard

Leo - Jess Ragan

Duren - SonicShadows

Arem - DanteWahou

Goban Tovah - DanteWahou

Gadis - Jess Ragan

Lemnos
    - Jess Ragan

Ramess - TetsuyaHikari

Slano
    - SonicShadows

Schultz - SonicShadows

Talim - Duo_R

Rady
    - TetsuyaHikari

Miyu
    - SonicShadows

Enzo - Nitro

Keith Fact
    - Nitro

Dr. Flair
    - ParanoiaDragon

Narrator - ParanoiaDragon

Dogi - Chris Adams

Soldier B - Collin Pierce (Arjak)

~FEMALE~

Lillia - Bassplayerbabe

Leeza
    - Mizura

Karna
    - Mizura

Bami
    - deadlyrose7717

Tim
    - Dashe Troxon

Lair - Haushinka

Feena - Dawn "Usamimi" Huestis

Torie - Dawn "Usamimi" Huestis

Aria - Dashe Troxon

Mother - Dawn "Usamimi" Huestis

NOTE: If any of the actors wish to be credited under a different name please let me know and I'll change it.

The Patch is Out!

Please view it's release page here

http://burntprojects.wordpress.com/Y...he-dawn-of-Ys/

INTRO

Alright, allow me to introduce everyone to a project that I’ve been kicking around for over two years now. Today I’m finally going to announce the start of the Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English dub project on the TurboGrafx-CD!

The Ys franchise is a highly regarded series of action RPGs that has been released on various systems over the years. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys is, of course, the fourth entry in the series and is considered by many to be one of the best in the franchise. Dawn of Ys was never official released in English but a great English patch was released by NightWolve in 2004 that translates all the in-game text. However all of the game’s cut scenes remained voiced in Japanese. There have been several attempts to create a fan-dub for Ys IV’s cut scenes but none of them were ever finished. Ys IV has been waiting 8 years for a proper dub and I know I have the skills and determination to finally give it one.

NightWolve is also supporting this project and plans on integrating the dub into a new release of the English patch when the project is completed.

For those of you who are not familiar with my previous rom hacking/dubbing project then you can check out my work on the English translation patch for Castlevania: Rondo of Blood.
    http://www.romhacking.net/translations/846/

Okay, time to start talking about what needs to be done!
    (NOTE: this is a nonprofit fan project!)

HOW IS THIS GOING TO WORK?

I have listed here all the characters that are in need of voice work. Next to the listed characters are some audition lines along with the original Japanese audio for the line, so you can study the tone, speed, and emotion of the line before recording.
    I recommend using Audacity for recording, a very well regarded free sound recorder/editor (which you may have already heard of)...
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Using Audacity is pretty self-explanatory so I won't get into that. If you do need help with Audacity then here is a video on YouTube that does a pretty good job of showing the ropes to Audacity…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rQr5YVNqI0
    It is important to note that you should have a good microphone that is fit for voice acting and that you use a pop filter. If your recordings sound crackly or emulate the 4th of July then your takes will be unusable.
    (P.S. Don’t apply any filters to your takes, such as noise removal, echo, ect. I need the recordings to be as pure as possible! It makes it allot easier for me to work with.)

WHERE TO SEND ?

Please keep all of the above text in mind and send your audition as 44100hz 16-bit Stereo WAV files to this email address:
    (Email address removed)
    Make the subject is: “(Your name/username) Ys IV Audition for (character’s name).”
    If your auditioning for multiple roles then leave out the "character's name" part and list who you are auditioning for in the Email itself.

NOTE! Do not send in auditions if you do not fully intend on recording all the voices for said character! If you do not have the time/motivation/will power to fully record all your lines after auditions then I don’t have the time to waste on you!

If your audition lines are two big to send through email then I recommend using a service like Dropbox to send me a private download links. https://www.dropbox.com/
    Dropbox is a very useful program that you might find yourself using even after this project is finished.

After sending in your auditions I will send you a reply simply stating that I have received it. If you get the part you will receive another Email after auditions saying so, along with some instructions. If you don’t get an Email after auditions then you didn’t get the part.

Auditions end on June 1.

Either way make sure you send in your auditions as soon as possible!

NOTE: The Auditions below are organized by how much dialogue the characters have (biggest to smallest). Next to each character description there is a section labeled "Length" with the amount of minuets/seconds of spoken dialogue that character has. This should help you to get an idea on how much time commitment each role will have. Though I should mention that these are very rough estimates and could be potentially longer then they really are (not shorter!).

merges onto next post...
    Last edited by Burnt Lasagna; 10-08-2013 at 04:21 AM.

2. #2 Re: Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English Dub Project on the TurboGrafx-CD . 
    AUDITIONS

STORY
    It has been 2 years since Adol Christin saved the country of Esteria and the Kingdom of Ys from the grasp of evil. After journeying with his companion Dogi they return to Esteria to celebrate the success of their friend Golban's new trading business.
    Upon entering the familiar sights of Minea Town they were greeted by the many townsfolk including Jessica Tovah the fortuneteller, who had disappeared after Adol’s previous adventure. Jessica tells Adol of a vision she had about the country of Celceta and the troubles it faces.
    Not one to leave innocent folk struggling Adol leaves to help the people of Celceta to solve the many mysteries that lay there.....

CAST

Unfortunately Adol Christin is a silent protagonist so no go with auditioning for him.

MALE ROLES

Eldeel
    (Age Mid 20's)

Eldeel is the last of the Winged Folk of the Ancient Eldeen civilization. He is confined to the sacred district where he lives his life in peace; until he is visited by the Clan of Darkness, who poisons his mind. Now Eldeel searches to gain the ultimate power by finding both the Masks of the Moon and the Sun. By gaining both masks Eldeel will have the means to rise the ancient golden city of El Doran from the beneath the ground. Although he has sided with the Clan of Darkness he still has a soft spot for his friend Leeza.

Pitch: Medium
    Character Traits: Eldeel was once a kind hearted soul but has now become a heartless individual; bringing pain and death to those who oppose him (He nearly kills Adol). But later on he is stabbed in the back by Garuda and in his last moments he reverts to his kind self for one last talk. Eldeel has a majestic quality which makes him take center stage for every scene he's in.
    Length: ~7 mins

Audition Lines

Audition Clip1
    Audition Line1: "Hahaha! Now all of the Stone's power is mine. This is magnificent! I've no more need of this thing. Begone!!"

Audition Clip2
    Audition Line2: (Dying) "Leeza... I have no right to ask this, but ...please forgive me. I was... s-so wrong..."

Lefance (Deceased but lives on as a spirit *Early 30's*)

Lefance was the hero who defeated Arem centuries ago with the help of the 5 Disciples. For his bravery the people of ancient Celceta made him King. The Winged Folk of Eldeen gave him the Mask of the Sun which he used to create the Golden City El Doran. Since the power of the Mask of the Sun was too great he was given the Mask of the Moon to help control it. Time has passed and he sleeps in his Tomb awaiting the arrival of Adol Christin so he may give him guidance on his quest.

Pitch: Medium to slightly low
    Character Traits: Lefance was both a hero and a king so he has a majestic and regal quality. Plus he acts as Adol's last guide who bestows to him the ultimate power.
    Length: ~4.2 mins

Audition Lines

Audition Clip1
    Audition Line1: "Adol Christin, it is good that you have come. I am Lefance, protector of Celceta.

Audition Clip2
    Audition Line2: "I can hear Arem's pulse.... The Mask of the Sun is enshrined in the deepest depths of the Temple of the Sun.

Garuda (Age ?? but he looks around 16-19)

Garuda is a slippery slimy snake that strays in the grass until it’s the perfect time to strike! He is, more or less, the leader of the Clan of Darkness as well.

Character Traits: Creepy teenager that has the look of the devil in his eyes. Like those sadistic little kids that you find in back of a soda machines plucking off the wings to a butterfly.
    Length: ~4.1 mins

Audition Lines

Audition Clip1
    Audition Line1: "And I am Guruda. That mystic wand's existence is a hindrance to our plans. Bami, kill them!"

Audition Clip2
    Audition Line2: "If you don't comply, I'll gut her like a fish. Gadis!!"

Grandfather Jeff (Age 70+)

Jeff is a kind soul who's the lucky Grandfather of Tim, a delightful little child who will most likely put Jeff into an early grave.

Pitch
    : Old man high
    Character Type: Because of the love he has for his grandson, Tim, he is most often both angry and worried. (P.S. This dude needs to be over the top!)
    Length: ~2.2 mins

Audition Line

Audition Clip
    Audition Line: "I said this is an emergency! Won't any of you come help?! Fine, then, to hell with all of you!

Leo (Age 40's)

Leo is an evil, greedy, snobbish and over the top side villain that gets up in Adol’s grill every chance he gets! He later takes sides with the clan of Darkness, so this guy’s anything but a saint.

Pitch: High
    Character Traits: Being loud and in your face…with an accent, not sure what kind though, I guess Italian or French? I’m up for any kind though. You might also want to try being a bit over the top when dubbing for his lines.
    Length: ~2.1 mins

Audition Lines

Audition Clip1
    Audition Line1: "That's 'General Leo,' you simpering dolt!

Audition Clip2

Audition Line2: "The ancient treasures will be mine.... err, I mean, the Romun Empire's. Unless you have a death wish, I suggest you stand aside!"

Duren (Age 20's)

Duren is sort of a relaxed and goofy kind of guy who breaks out of jail with Adol during the beginning of the game. After that Duren frequently helps Adol out throughout his adventure. He also was originally a member of the Clan of Darkness, but he got better.

Pitch
    : Medium to low
    Character Traits: …well, he’s relaxed and goofy, so I guess he’s like a more mature version of a college frat boy.
    Length: ~2 mins

Audition Lines

Audition Clip1
    Audition Line1: "Whoa! I don't know who you are, babe, but thanks a million!"

Audition Clip2
    Audition Line2: "No warm welcome for Master Duren, former Clansman of Darkness?"

Arem (Revived Age 70 - 90)

The Evil King who bought destruction to the land of Celceta centuries ago is resurrected and ready to finish what he started. (Arem is the Final boss for YsIV)

Pitch: Low
    Character Traits: Arem is considered one of the most evil men to walk the earth. He is a super strong old man who only wants to destroy everything around him.
    Length: ~1.8 mins

Audition Lines

Audition Clip1
    Audition Line1: "Uuuuuugh... I am reborn, from the realm of chaos".

Audition Clip2
    Audition Line2: "If I am to be banished, I will drag you down into Hell with me! Wandering souls of my clan! Gather unto me!!"

Goban Tovah (Age Late 30's to Early 40's)

Goban is the former leader of the Thieves’ Guild and helped Adol put an end to the demons reign of terror 2 years ago. Now he enjoys running his successful shipping business in Minea Town. He reunites with his old allies, Adol and Dogi, and parties with them only to later find out that night Adol is missing.

Pitch: Medium to Low
    Character Traits: Golban is a gruff sort of fellow and tells it how it is but is friendly towards most people.
    Length: ~1.8 mins

Audition Lines

Audition Clip1
    Audition Line1: "It's been a long time, you jackass! You just up and left without a word two years ago!"

Audition Clip2
    Audition Line2: "And you shouldn't call me 'Boss' anymore. I'm now 'Mr. Goban of the Trading Post.'"

Gadis (Age late 20's)

Gadis is another one of the Clan of Darkness’s goons. Basically he’s very robust and often uses his muscles as a substitute for his brain.

Pitch: Low to Medium
    Character Traits: HULK SMASH!!
    Length: ~1.5 mins

Audition Lines

Audition Clip1
    Audition Line1: "Heeheehee! That's right. I'm Gadis. You'd better just keep quiet and hand over that wand, cutiepie."
    (P.S. Not so sure on “cutiepie”. Though if you happen to make it work that would be amazing!)

Audition Clip2
    Audition Line2: "Bah, I'll just kill him now!!"

Lemnos
    (Age 16 - 17)

Lemnos is a weak little snot that gets turned into a monster by Bami (a member of the Clan of Darkness). After being de-monsterfyed he gives you the run down on what to expect from the Clan.

Character Traits: um, weak and…delicate.
    Length: ~1.1 mins

Audition Lines

Audition Clip1
    Audition Line1: "Ugh..., We must... protect... Lord Slano's tomb... from... the Clan of Darkness...!"

Audition Clip2
    Audition Line2: "You are Adol? I'm told I owe you my life.”

Ramess (Age 100+) No Picture

Mystic guy that lays the plot cement down into the cracks of Adol’s mind.

Character Traits: exposition.
    Length: ~1 mins

Audition Line

Audition Clip
    Audition Line: “Adol Christin. All is eternal, and springs from the well of the past.”

Slano (Deceased but now lives on as a Spirit *Mid 30's*)

Slano is one of the 5 Five Disciples who helped the hero Lefance defeat the King of Slaughter, Arem, Centuries ago. His spirit rests in his shrine in the Lava fields. But he is awoken by Adol's bravery and rewards him with the Fire Wand.

Character Traits: Slano is a battle hardened warrior but wise as well.
    Length: ~53 secs

Audition Line

Audition Clip
    Audition Line: "Adol Christin, I have awaited your arrival. My name is Slano, strongest warrior of the ancient Selcetan Dynasty."

Schultz
    (Age 50 - 60)

Schultz is Leeza's father. Nuf said. (Minor Role)

Character Traits: Hardly has any, but I guess being middle aged would be one of them.
    Length: ~50 secs

Audition Line

Audition Clip
    Audition Line: "I do not know why that man inhabits the Sacred District. But he is the last survivor of the Winged Ones."

Talim (Deceased but lives on as a spirit *50's*)

Talim is one of the 5 Five Disciples who helped the hero Lefance defeat the King of Slaughter, Arem, centuries ago. His spirit rests atop the Roda Tree in the Great Forest. But he is awoken by Adol's bravery and rewards him with the Alter wand.

Character Traits: Very Wise and calm.
    Length: ~48 secs

Audition Line

Audition Clip
    Audition Line: "My name is Talim. I am the spirit of the great forest.”

Rady (Deceased Late 40's)

Rady is one of the 5 Five Disciples who helped the hero Lefance defeat the King of Slaughter, Arem, Centuries ago. He sleeps in his tomb beneath the water. But he is awoken by Adol's bravery and rewards him with the Freeze wand.

Character Type: He speaks like a priest preaching to others. Calm tone.
    Length: ~47 secs

Audition Line

Audition Clip
    Audition Line: Before the holy light, wicked creatures are shamed by their own black hearts.

Miyu (Deceased but lives on as a spirit *Mid 20's*)

Miyu is one of the 5 Five Disciples which means he’s another spirit that talks for a bit and then gives you free stuff. Yippee!

Character Traits: Being a twenty year old youngster that just got out of a college philosophy class.
    Length: ~39 secs

Audition Line

Audition Clip
    Audition Line: “In the service of justice, all barriers can be overcome. I will grant you the power to traverse distances in an instant."

Enzo (Age Unknown 100+)

Like Ramess, Enzo the Sage has waited a long time to speak to Adol. Unfortunately it was a long time ago and Enzo lives on in spirit only. He uses the body of a new born baby to speak to Adol about the 2nd part of the Celceta History.

Character Type: He just talks normally, only with crazy robotic filter over it. Basically he’s Little John from SDATCHER.
    Length: ~25 secs

Audition Line

Audition Clip
    Audition Line: "The chosen warrior. My name is Enzo".

Keith Fact (Late Teens - Early 20's)

Two years ago Keith Fact lived as a demon but after Adol defeated both his relatives Dark Fact & Darm (Kain Fact) were returned to human form. He now helps the people of Esteria and Ys to make it a better place. Unfortunately being the last of the Fact family he is targeted by Gadis who needs his power to locate the mask of the moon. Thus his mind is controlled by the dark mage.

Character Type: Keith is at heart a kind soul but takes a neutral stand on most things (I'm guessing he was abused when he was a demon).
    Length: ~25 secs

Audition Line

Audition Clip
    Audition Line: I'm the descendant of a priest of mental discipline, and I let myself get controlled...."

merges onto next post...
    Last edited by Burnt Lasagna; 05-08-2012 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Need to change what is says...

3. #3 Re: Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English Dub Project on the TurboGrafx-CD . 
    FEMALE ROLES

Leeza (Age 14 -16)

Leeza is an unnaturally innocent teenage girl that loves everything and anyone, Especially Eldeel.

Pitch: Medium to High
    Character Traits: Standard meo.
    Length: ~7.7 mins

Audition Lines

Audition Clip1
    Audition Line1: "Oh, you're hurt. Just hold still for a second, okay?"

Audition Clip2
    Audition Line2: "Don't do it! You can't trust these people!!"

Karna (Age 17 - 18 )

Karna is a courageous young woman who fights the Romn Empire to protect her village. Early in the game she becomes friends with Adol and helps him out on his quest.

Character Traits: She’s a bit of a fiery Tomboy but strong willed with a kind heart.
    Length: ~1.6 mins

Audition Lines

Audition Clip1
    Audition Line1: "I told you, I wandered off the path and got lost! Now let GO!"

Audition Clip2
    Audition Line2: "Don't worry, they're just unconscious. I'm Karna. The village of Arieda isn't far beyond this mountain pass".

Bami (Age Late 20's)

Bami is a member of the Clan of Darkness. She along with Garuda and Gadis wish to revive Arem to bring destruction to the world. She is a Sadistic witch who takes pleasure in turning people and other things into horrible creatures.

Pitch: Medium to High
    Character Traits: Cruel, nasty, crazed and sadistic. Over the top!
    Length: ~1.6 mins

Audition Lines

Audition Clip1
    Audition Line1: "I'm Bami. I don’t care if you resist or not. You'll die here either way!"

Audition Clip2
    Audition Line2: "Bah...! You deserted the Clan like a coward, and you dare to show your face now?! I'll kill the lot of you!"

Tim (Age 8 - 10)

Tim is happy go lucky and ventures anywhere within reach, which usually gets him into trouble. The poor fellow is first swallowed by an Ice Demon and then is turned to stone.

Pitch: High
    Character Type
    : Proactive kid who is easily bored.
    Length: ~1.3 mins

Audition Lines

Audition Clip1
    Audition Line1: "I'm fine, Grandpa! My leg's a little sore, but it's just a scratch!"

Audition Clip2
    Audition Line2: "Thanks, mister! I'm Tim, from Libra village".

Lair
    (100+ Appearance 18 )

Lair is a famous Goddess from the Ys series. Shows up to talk exposition and then a few other lines after that.

Pitch
    : Medium
    Character Traits: Feminine and mystical kindness.
    Length: ~1.2 mins

Audition Lines

Audition Clip1
    Audition Line1: "Have you been well, Adol? It's Lair.”

Audition Clip2
    Audition Line2: "In order to unearth that power, he needs the Mask of the Moon.”

Feena (100+ Appearance 18 )

Feena is the Goddess of Ys. Aside from being a higher class of Goddess she’s almost exactly like Lair and does just about the same things.

Character Traits: Feminine and mystical kindness…again.
    Length: ~1.4 mins

Audition Lines

Audition Clip1
    Audition Line1: "Adol, can you hear me? It is I, Feena, Goddess of Ys.”

Audition Clip2
    Audition Line2: "Keith will be all right. We will no longer allow evildoers to manipulate the minds of Esterians."

Torie (Deceased but lives on as a Spirit *Early 30's*)

Torie is another member of the 5 Five Disciples. She talks for a bit then gives you the ability to see through your mind…

Pitch
    Character Traits: Wise
    Length: ~49 secs

Audition Line

Audition Clip
    Audition Line: That which your eyes see is not the only reality. Look with your mind's eye. It will see only the truth...."

Aria (Age Unknown 100+)

Aria is the last Sage who tells Adol the Final part of the Celceta History.
    Like Enzo she lives on as a spirit who uses a corpse to relay her message.

Pitch: Medium to low
    Character Traits: Aria has the voice of an old woman. She, like the other sages, speaks with no emotion.
    Length: ~34 secs

Audition Lines

Audition Clip
    Audition Line: "Long have I waited. Though my form is strange, you know who I am. My name is Aria. Now, I will tell you the end of the legend."

Mother (Mid 30's)

The mother of the baby that Enzo uses to speak vicariously through. All she does is say exactly 40 words at the end of the game...that's it.

Pitch
    Character Traits: um, a mom.
    Length: ~?, but it is only 40 words.

Audition Lines

Audition Clip

Audition Line: "Do you remember me? We met in Venus village."

NOTE! I used some of GeeMac32bit’s descriptions for the text above. Though most of the descriptions in his audition sheet from 2009 where deleted so a good portion is my own work. You’ll be able to tell who wrote what just by the writing style (more descriptive and serious writing style is GeeMac32bit. Less serious and probably less delineative style is my own.)

That is it! I feel great that I’m finally getting real with this project after years just nibbling on it and not saying anything about it!
    Let’s make this dub stand tall alongside the game itself and the fantastic in game text translation by NightWolve! This is the dub that Ys IV has needed for over a decade now, so let’s give it our best shot!

GANBARU!!!!
    Last edited by Burnt Lasagna; 05-08-2012 at 04:59 PM.

4. #4 Re: Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English Dub Project on the TurboGrafx-CD . 
    I have sent in my audition. Here's hoping I get a good part!

5. #5 Re: Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English Dub Project on the TurboGrafx-CD . 
    Thank you!

Keep in mind everyone that perfection is not prerequisite for this project.
    If your mic's of decent quality then your already more then qualified to be in this project.

6. #6 Re: Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English Dub Project on the TurboGrafx-CD . 
    Hello Burnt Lasagna. I just heard about your project from the Ancient Land of Ys Community. This is wonderful news to see this project revived again. I had worked with Justus from the original project many years ago before it fell through. I believe at the time I was possibly going to be playing the part of Goban's voice. I'd like to try and assist with this one as well because I really want to see this finished and completed once and for all. I'll send some samples next week if not a bit sooner for a few characters and we can perhaps just go from there to see if you can use anything.

One question I have when sending these auditions, do you want the audition to match completely within the wave file length, or can it be something more general just to get a feel of the voice. Then if a voice can be used, it can then later be a retake under the time constraint conditions. Would that work? That may make it easier for folks to send you their auditions if that is the case, but if not then I'll try to use the program now for the audition process.

Thanks again. Been thinking about this project's fate for a very long time now wishing it had been completed!

-Thomas

7. #7 Re: Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English Dub Project on the TurboGrafx-CD . 
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyeWelse View Post
    One question I have when sending these auditions, do you want the audition to match completely within the wave file length, or can it be something more general just to get a feel of the voice. Then if a voice can be used, it can then later be a retake under the time constraint conditions. Would that work? That may make it easier for folks to send you their auditions if that is the case, but if not then I'll try to use the program now for the audition process.
    Timing isn't "mandatory" for auditions.
    Though it will be mandatory in the actual dubbing, so make sure your able to handle that. You might want to do two takes, one where your not timed and one where you are, but it's up to you.
    Also, If you find yourself having to say a line in an unnaturally short time frame try rewording it to be shorter.

Thanks for your interest in the project!

8. #8 Re: Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English Dub Project on the TurboGrafx-CD . 
    Very interesting, I haven't seen something like this in a while. You can expect an audition from me within the near future.

9. #9 Re: Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English Dub Project on the TurboGrafx-CD . 
    Hey SonicShadows.
    I'm guessing you saw my Email? Glad your interested in auditioning!
    Last edited by Burnt Lasagna; 05-05-2012 at 08:45 PM.

10. #10 Re: Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English Dub Project on the TurboGrafx-CD . 
    I just added a "Length" section to every characters description that says the amount of minuets/seconds of spoken dialogue that character has. This should help you to get an idea on how much time commitment each role will have. Some of you might be surprised on how short most of the roles really are.
    Last edited by Burnt Lasagna; 05-07-2012 at 02:18 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast