El Pinturas Negras
by Scott D. Harris and James P. Quick
A Three-Episode Audio Adventure
The Doctor and his companions (Whitney and Zacharias) arrive in mid-1800's Madrid. Looking for a nice holiday in the sunny Spanish countryside, the travelers instead find a sinister web weaving its way through town. It seems focused on La Quinta Del Sordo - the Deaf Man's Villa - once home to the Doctor's old friend Francisco Goya. The property has since passed to Goya's grandson, Mariano, who has been fending off proposals by Ricardo Solozano - a local underground cult leader - to buy the property. Soon, Solozano makes his own move to take the property and summon a being trapped in Francisco's Black Paintings called the Capric. He does so and kills the Doctor in doing so. Can the day be saved without the Doctor? Or is the world doomed to exist under the Capric's cloven hooves?
NOTE: Even though this story is set in Spain, we wanted to be able to include all of those who are interested - including those who couldn't do a Spanish accent. So, we stuck a line into episode three mentioning that the TARDIS's translation field is on the blink. Basically allowing you to have any accent you'd like - within reason and good taste, that is! In addition, please read all audition lines for your part(s).
MIGUEL - Mariano Goya's ward
Miguel worked in a butcher's shop before becoming Mariano's ward and alerts him to goings-on in the town. He is instrumental to moving the plot along in both episodes one and two.
Voice: Young. Early-to-mid 20's.
1. (sighs) The appearances began a couple of months ago. They happen once or twice a week, moving further and further every time. Some of the elders in the Church predict itís making its way towards the Deaf Manís Villa.
2. DoctorÖ Doctor, get a hold of yourself! Somethingís happening to the crowd! Itís like theyíre in a trance!
3. My God, the noises from in there are unholy. The man must be a lunatic or a fool to go in there with just that wand-waving fanatic for company.
FRANCISCO GOYA - Famous painter
Dead at the time of the story. He painted the Black Paintings to trap the Capric and stop it from entering our world. Goya is existing in a sort of astral plane and is instrumental in helping the Doctor in episode three.
Voice: Old, wise, and warm. Francisco Goya was 82 when he died.
1. It seems to haveÖ always been with us, it is so old. My dear LeocadiaÖ she sensed the profound effect it had upon my delicate psyche. That is why I painted those pictures, before it could engulf my will utterly.
2. (strangulated) Unhand me, devil. You have no power over us. We have God on our side. I believe in Him!
3. (at peace) Goodbye, Doctor, and do tell my worrisome oaf of a grandson Iím proud of him.
1st CULTIST - Frater Lorenzo
Frater Lorenzo does not truly believe in the cult's ultimate goal. He is only a part of the cult to have his hopes and dreams fulfilled, as Solozano promised him. He joins the Doctor's side in episode three.
Voice: A little older than Miguel. Mid 20's.
1. I think youíll be pleased to know weíre ready to seize La Quinta Del Sordo this evening. The Manuscript is ready and- (cut off)
2. (kind of shocked) They mustíve vaulted straight over the wall.
3. (indignant, defiant) This man gave me a choice, and he isnít the one who murdered Luisa for trying to protect the man she loved, our teacher, the one who tried to give us a way to better our lives and eventually become the shepherds instead of the sheep!
3rd CULTIST - Frater Frederico
About the same age as Eutimio. He seems to be the head of the three male cultists seen.
Voice: Late 30's-Mid 40's.
1. (eager to please) Here, Magus. Iíve turned it to the appropriate passages.
2. You! Fat man! Where did they go!?
3. (dismissively) Youíve no idea what youíre saying, boy. That manís entrapped you with his lies. He fears us, and he fears our power.
Contact, Deadlines, and Accepted Media Formats
Please send auditions to "firstname.lastname@example.org" with the subject line: "Doctor Who EPN Audition".
Accepted Media Formats
MP3 (mono or stereo, doesn't matter as long as it's the highest quality you can make it) and Ogg Vorbis. Please label your file "[First Name, Last Name] - [Character Name] Audition".
Best of luck to you all!
The CP Studios Team