Thread: Quick Fix: Get Rid of Buzzing/Humming Noise When Using Your Headset or USB Mic

1. #1 Quick Fix: Get Rid of Buzzing/Humming Noise When Using Your Headset or USB Mic 
    Hey guys. I just posted a short and easy tutorial on Instructables.com Check it out! http://www.instructables.com/id/Quic...-Noise-When-U/

Update:
    If you have a two prong power cord for your laptop, flip it upside down so that the left prong is on the right and the right prong is on the left. This worked for me. Try it out and let me know if it works for you.
    Last edited by DANgerous124; 09-12-2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Update

2. #2 Re: Quick Fix: Get Rid of Buzzing/Humming Noise When Using Your Headset or USB Mic 
    Quote Originally Posted by DANgerous124 View Post
    Hey guys. I just posted a short and easy tutorial on Instructables.com Check it out! http://www.instructables.com/id/Quic...-Noise-When-U/
    Didn't work... btw the noise is mostly from the fan inside the laptop... atleast mine is. It makes no since that unplugging it would make a difference it didn't for me and I usually do my recordings unplugged.... so...

3. #3 Re: Quick Fix: Get Rid of Buzzing/Humming Noise When Using Your Headset or USB Mic 
    Working hard to get VA's some $ opportunities. silentcomposition's Avatar
    This tutorial would work

The only issue is noise is caused because of the ground, not because computers don't have it.

http://www.mug.jhmi.edu/mirrors/info...6/29/8500.html
    Last edited by silentcomposition; 07-20-2011 at 07:18 AM.

Extras --- Free Music --- Free Pro Video Editor --- Free Audio Effect Plugins --- My Casting Doc Template
    Remember to use the Resources Page

- For original productions, if you can't find a sound effect, I might have it, just ask.

Click Profile to see what i've done.

4. #4 Re: Quick Fix: Get Rid of Buzzing/Humming Noise When Using Your Headset or USB Mic 
    Pushing the Walls of insanity. Philmister978's Avatar
    But what if you're like me, who has a mic that plus into the back of the computer with a Mic Jack and not via USB?

I'm asking as I'm having a bit of an issue with the static coming trough my mic, Even with Tissues I can't get the static to stop.
    Upcoming projects:

Confirmed:
    -Attack of Dr. Madness (17 characters, additional voices, animation, writing, Director, etc.)
    -Megaman NT Warrior season one fandub (Magicman, additional voices)
    -Transformers: The Movie abridged (Starscream, Cyclonus, Scrapper, Bonecrusher, Scavenger, Kup, Kickback, Mixmaster, additional voices, writer)
    -Rozen Maden: The Abridged series (Yamamoto-Kun)
    -Bleach Abridged (Writer, additional characters)

Auditioning for:
    Wild Days in the Plastic West
    - Bartender, Bert Wilson, Goofy Lawyers # 1 & 2, Stranger in the Road #'s 1,2 & 3, The Land Seller.

5. #5 Re: Quick Fix: Get Rid of Buzzing/Humming Noise When Using Your Headset or USB Mic 
    Formerly khcrazy10 (Voice Actor and Singer) Tara St. Michel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Philmister978 View Post
    But what if you're like me, who has a mic that plus into the back of the computer with a Mic Jack and not via USB?

I'm asking as I'm having a bit of an issue with the static coming trough my mic, Even with Tissues I can't get the static to stop.
    I've had this problem with a headphone jack on the front of the computer (not much difference). When I brought it into the shop they said they could fix both that and the problem where USB drives keep crashing the computer when plugged in by putting a grounding strip in.

The problem that I had was sort of an electric sound in my headphones, a buzz sort of. I'd assume it could be the same concept for an input jack seeing as it's the same jack connected so it will bring audio in instead of output.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. #6 Re: Quick Fix: Get Rid of Buzzing/Humming Noise When Using Your Headset or USB Mic 
    If the sound device is internal to your computer, than I would also recommend getting an external unit. It can be a professional audio interface, or just a consumer grade USB sound device, but it helps to keep the sound device as far from the other computer electronics as possible; all electrical activity generate trace amounts of radio frequency interference, and sound devices are generally sensitive enough to pick up on that... some more than others; the cheap electronics generally have a higher sound floor (where you can hear the electrical hum) than the more quality devices.
    Lampros Liontos (aka. Reteo Varala)

• The Penguin Producer - Tips, tricks and techniques for setting up and using a recording studio with Linux.

Recent Roles: