This is a fan-dub of the Valve comic released shortly before the full-game. It is the story of Doug Rattmann, the very man who was hinted to have left various visual arts across the original Portal game, which include directions around the facility and the famous phrase 'the cake is a lie". Despite being a schizophrenic, he continues to live in the dangerous environment by dodging GLaDOS' infernal gaze and hordes of turrets through the maintenance shafts. This comic was released on the eighth of April, 2011, being coloured and designed by Michael Avon Oeming and Andrea Wicklund.
"Reality is a story the mind tells itself."
Rules: No lemons.
Contact Information and E-Mail Delivery:
You can send me all auditions through there, or by Skype (tyler1337admin). I check my e-mail frequently, and I am online on Skype through the week-days at two o'clock to eleven-thirty, and on the week-end's at any time. Any file-type will be acceptable; I am not concerned as long as the file is of reasonably good quality.
Character Audition List
Rattman's Companion Cube
Voice Type: Brooding and cautious to the world around them. Lightly-toned, feminine if applicable, or young-male.
The cube is afraid not only for Rattmann, but also for his own existence as his conscience. Thus, as a construct
of Rattmann's schizophrenia, he is seen as a separate entity by him as well as the closest thing
he has to a real companion anymore.
- "C'mon, you don't need those anymore. You're fine." [Trying to convince Rattmann to leave his last two pills of medication in the locker where he found them so that he will not fade away. However, does it as if simply reassuring of a normal situation.]
- "It's why you're still alive. You're not a hero. Heroes die." [The Cube wants Rattmann to turn back from the destroyed facility and leave Chell to her death. They're finally free, but Rattmann wants to return to their former prison so that they can save their saviour from certain death.]
Voice Type: Caucasian. Calculated down to the very brim. She is a sadistic taunter in this, but also very informed and confident of her
adversary in Rattmann. She sounds of a woman in her forties or thirties. Here is some examples of her voice from the game (originally by Ellen McLain);
- "The Enrichment Center would like to announce a new employee initiative of forced voluntary participation. If any Aperture Science Employee would like to opt out of this new voluntary testing program, please remember, science rhymes with compliance. Do you know what doesn't rhyme with compliance? Neurotoxin." [GLaDOS is announcing this initiative in the wake of her coup d'etat of the scientists in the facility. She is reminding them of the consequences of resistance.]
- "Schizophrenia is a culturally bound phenomenon. Its pattern of expression is filtered through the cultural substrate in which its symptoms develop. In technological societies, this manifests as delusions of surveillance and a belief that advanced technology is deployed against you, usually with some vague unseen "other" out to get you." [She is taunting Rattmann's mental disease as he is making his way to Aperture Science's file-room, either to gaude him to do something drastic or simply for her own amusement.]
Voice Type: Middle-aged Caucasian male. He is over-confident, but well-meaning in his intent to fix GLaDOS as a
way to cement him and the scientists in history.
- "It's been a hell of a morning. You missed all the fun. We had to hit the kill switch again." [Sounds excited, enthusiastic about their current progress.]
Voice Type: That of a rustic, thirty-year old male. His drive is for science and
science only. If there is something wrong, it can be fixed with the magical power of science.
Thus, if you are not working on science, you're fired.
Here are some voice-clips of him for reference from
J.K. Simmons in Portal 2:
His only line in the entire comic is:
- "Cave Johnson here: You lab boys quit your yappin' and get back to work. This has been a prerecorded message." [His voice is commanding and annoyed during the first part of the line, but he lowers his voice to point out that the message was prerecorded.]
If I have forgotten anything in this post, please feel free to point it out and call me a moron. I don't blame you.
DEADLINE IS: June 1st, 2011.