Thread: Talent or Hard Work?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Talent or Hard Work? 

InuKai here with a question. Can you go far in life with the talent or skill alone, or do you need to be hard-working and diligent with what you're doing?

This thought came across my mind when my brother thought he could repair computers because, well, he does it pretty damn well. Then, I check all the computer repair jobs available, and they say not only do you need the A+ certification, but a degree. He has the certification, but not the degree, so chances of him getting that job aren't very high.

On the other side, when I went to Avalanche Software(the people behind such great games as Toy Story 3 and the Tak series... and other pretty bad titles like DBZ: Sagas and 25 to Life) for a job shadow last Spring, I was told that people can get into the business without the paperwork; they just needed the skills needed to get the job done. Avalanche wasn't one of those companies, otherwise I'd have had a summer internship there. However, there are companies like that who will hire you if you can prove to them that you don't need the hard work that requires a degree.

So, I ask again, fellow VAA members: Hard work or talent? Or both? Or neither(heaven forbid)?
    Guess Who's Back!
    |My YouTube Channel |
    SkyGaming | Facebook |

2. #2 Re: Talent or Hard Work? 
    The comedy never ends..... Ovarku's Avatar
    Talent means nothing if you refuse to work hard. Being a hard worker is a talent within itself.
    If you're gonna break the rules, be brilliant...otherwise don't break the rules

3. #3 Re: Talent or Hard Work? 
    I'd say both. Hard work alone will just keep you running into walls and frustrated because in order to produce something of worth, you'd have to have some form of talent for it. Whereas, with talent alone, you'd get noticed but hard work is necessary to cultivate it into something worthy (and to stand above when someone else with talent comes your way). (Hope that's not too brief of an answer).

Being a hard worker is a talent within itself.
    Could you clarify this for me? In what way is being a hard worker a talent?
    "Meet success like a gentleman and disaster like a man."
    --------------
    Find Fallen on:

4. #4 Re: Talent or Hard Work? 
    The comedy never ends..... Ovarku's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Seraph View Post
    Could you clarify this for me? In what way is being a hard worker a talent?
    Not in the literal sense. But let me put it this way; laziness is not a talent. Hard worker/lazy bum may be more like character traits, but I always believe that a trait can work itself into a talent, or should I say can make a talent seem a little easier to acquire, but yet one still needs to put in the hard work.

I'm not sure if I cleared it up, but if not, then just call me The Riddler
    If you're gonna break the rules, be brilliant...otherwise don't break the rules

5. #5 Re: Talent or Hard Work? 
    Joy To The World Webcomic Johnathan Wrathborne's Avatar
    Talent and hard work go hand in hand really.

6. #6 Re: Talent or Hard Work? 
    Blog Entries
    Great talent comes with hardwork. You can't have one without the other, and it shouldn't matter if its something small or something big, people will eventually regonize you for the effort and hours you put into making your specific talent(s) noteworthy.
    Last edited by Sh3rl0ck; 11-06-2010 at 08:33 PM.

7. #7 Re: Talent or Hard Work? 
    A lifetime of training, my future is set in stone. BigTUnit1's Avatar
    Talent gets you through the front door. Hard work keeps you in the building.

8. #8 Re: Talent or Hard Work? 
    Here's my opinion on the matter, and I'll use my dad as an example. My dad has a bechelors degree, but he doesn't want to work at a full time job. He has the talent, he has the skills, he'll do hard work(for money of course) he has good reputation, but he doesn't want long hours. I mean, he could apply anywhere that fits with his qualificaions(Bachelor's Degree). He's not a bad guy, just, a guy with many hobbies. You can't skate in the park if you have to work at your job all day long. Now, he also works very hard, and gets paid slightly well just doing work fixing up houses for this realtor. The only bad thing is, it's temporary work, and he only gets a job when he gets called. So, does that mean any
    regular joe could fit my dad's place? Do they think they can do a better job because he doesn't look professional, or wear professional attire?

Don't judge a book by it's cover dude. No. Not if they were well trained in carpentry, fixing things, painting things professionally, crafting, and building things with your hands, and what have you. He can paint, he's a background actor(Been in movies like Wild, Wild West and The Tick, Go watch Wild wild west again, and look at the ball room scene where everybody is dressed up all fancy like. You can actually see his face. He's wearing white gloves, he's white, wearing a tuxedo, and has white hair. He's talking to one of the ladies who Will Smith's kisses and mistakes her for the other actor.) he's a carpenter, he's a skilled mathematician, he's a whiz with computers, and can put them back together, and fix new ones with old parts, and fix old ones with new parts, and uses leftover parts to fix another computer. Just like hand me downs for clothes, but he does this for my computer, and my sister's computer, his computer, and my mom's computer. He gives us hand me down parts basically. etc.....Unless you were as skilled like him, then yeah, you could do what my dad does. He built boats, and model planes for crying out loud, and competed in competitions. He's a master sportsman in Tennis, and Skating.(he taught this one kid in tennis, and trained him to go to the Olympics, and he actually got
    there. my dad helped him get there.) If he really wanted to. If he really put his mind to it, he could be anything from a sports shop worker(Like Big Five) to a math teacher at a college. Hell, he could work for Geek squad if he wanted. He could go far, and be rich by just selling his ideas, and paintings if somebody would give him the
    chance. He has mega potential just waiting to open up, but he hasn't had the chance to shine.

One of the reasons why he hasn't gone far yet with his ideas, and his inventions, people keep ripping him off, and stealing his ideas! It's just not fair for my dad. He tries, and he tries, and it's just sad for him to almost give up, and have doubts of whether or not he'll actually succeed. Right now, he's really trying to sell his art work.
    But I dunno how that's gonna work out. he has a big history on people ripping him off, so he doesn't know who to trust in dealing in terms of working with a trusted somebody.

So yeah, in his case, you can go far with talent and skills, but that didn't work for him too well. You can also go far with just hard work alone, but it didn't work so well for my father. You could be like, one of the hardest working men or women of the bunch, but you could also have tendencies to goof off, and have a terrible work ethic, or what have you.(My dad had so many jobs besides working for the realtor I was mentioning about earlier, like a phone salesman, and a substitute teacher, but he didn't stick with it because working as a phone saleslaman takes all day, and it was really taking it's toll on him waking up early, going to work, and then coming home in the dead hours of the night. Sure, he worked hard, but was it worth it? We don't think so. He was also a pretty hard working sub teacher, but no damn kid respected him while he was teaching. Nobody does for substitute teachers, or at least most people don't. Those snot nosed brats. They're teachers too, but temporary ones. respect them unless they're doing a terrible job. Then, I don't care what you do. But, if they're a good sub, and are at least trying to teach you, pay your damn attention to the sub, and shut the F up. ) So, working hard is good but doesn't mean shitake mushrooms unless depending on what your personality is like, or what the situation is like.

So, it all depends really on whatever really works for you, whether you have talent, skills, do hard work, or do completely nothing to get by. Another question comes to my mind is: Is it really worth it to work hard if the job is doing it's toll on you, and you barely have any time for yourself, your family, and whatever? Yeah, you can get far working hard, and missing out on all the stuff in your life, but I wouldn't do it. Remember Devil Wears Prada ladies and Gents? Anne Hathaway is smmmmmmmaaaaart.(Or at least the character she played in the movie was.)

TPK

9. #9 Re: Talent or Hard Work? 
    More passionate than hope, deeper than despair. Kamuro's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Truthfully, while I'm a talented person, I refuse to work hard unless I'm interested. This has cost me grades. So I believe while talent will give you a boost, hard work is definitely necessary. (Now, if only I could apply this to myself in real life...)
    Forum Moderator
    PM me if you have any questions!

- Resume - Demo (Fairly outdated) - Blog - Latest [Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch] -

10. #10 Re: Talent or Hard Work? 
    Like mentioned already. Talent is waste unless it's in use and focused on. Having a naturally high aptitude for any particular skill will get you far, assuming you're focusing on it. It also somewhat determines how hard you need to work at it to an extent. If you're naturally talented in a skill, it's fair to assume that you're able to create, process, etc the skill much more efficiently, effectively in an innovative manner, etc, etc. Obviously, someone who may have the natural talent, but doesn't focus on it isn't going to develop in that skill set or field beyond their base.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    I like to nap . my youtube

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast