Thread: The Microphone Guide

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: The Microphone Guide 
    I've had the AT2020 for years now and it still works like the day I opened it. I have two pre-amps that go with it: an M-Audio and a Tube MP Project Series. It delivers amazing quality sound for both my voice acting and singing life. I use it for all of the voices in my demo reel, if you'd like to listen to the quality of it. It doesn't even wince when I'm screaming at the top of my lungs, thanks to the way I've adjusted pre-amps. It was a little pricey when I first bought it, but the price has dropped immensely since then.

I bought the Yeti a few months ago to try it out because it didn't need any of the cords that my AT has or the amps, but the quality I found a little insulting to the way they were promoting it. It couldn't handle me talking loud let alone screaming. I could only use it for singing, so I decided to return it.

2. #22 Re: The Microphone Guide 
    Pushing the Walls of insanity. Philmister978's Avatar
    I have this white Mic that looks similar to the one that's on the Price is Right with the model number MC-845.

And no, I have no idea how much it cost me as I got it as a gift (I don't even know if my mother knows anymore).
    Upcoming projects:

Confirmed:
    -Attack of Dr. Madness (17 characters, additional voices, animation, writing, Director, etc.)
    -Megaman NT Warrior season one fandub (Magicman, additional voices)
    -Transformers: The Movie abridged (Starscream, Cyclonus, Scrapper, Bonecrusher, Scavenger, Kup, Kickback, Mixmaster, additional voices, writer)
    -Rozen Maden: The Abridged series (Yamamoto-Kun)
    -Bleach Abridged (Writer, additional characters)

Auditioning for:
    Wild Days in the Plastic West
    - Bartender, Bert Wilson, Goofy Lawyers # 1 & 2, Stranger in the Road #'s 1,2 & 3, The Land Seller.

3. #23 Re: The Microphone Guide 
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
    I use a Rode NT1-A Condenser mic. It's not USB so you can't hook it up directly to your computer. I used a Samson C01U before that, though.
    What kind of pre/interface are you using? I am debating getting a NT1-A, and interfacing with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. How would you compare the sound quality of the NT1-A to the Samson or other USB mics? I know a lot has to do with the preamp/interface as well, so any suggestion you can make there would be helpful too.

4. #24 Re: The Microphone Guide 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrStar View Post
    What kind of pre/interface are you using? I am debating getting a NT1-A, and interfacing with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. How would you compare the sound quality of the NT1-A to the Samson or other USB mics? I know a lot has to do with the preamp/interface as well, so any suggestion you can make there would be helpful too.
    I'm actually using a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB interface. I've only ever used the Samson CO1U... but I will definitely say that it sounds better than the samson. The Rode has a bright and crisp sound to it, at least with my voice, but I think the Focusrite makes it 10x better.

5. #25 Re: The Microphone Guide 
    Do you guys think the Samson Go Mic will be a good mic for doing voice acting? cause I'm thinking of buying one since that's the only mic I can afford for now. .@_@

6. #26 Re: The Microphone Guide 
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xbelleh View Post
    Do you guys think the Samson Go Mic will be a good mic for doing voice acting? cause I'm thinking of buying one since that's the only mic I can afford for now. .@_@
    I have a friend who uses that mic. She says the quality's decent (and from what I heard, it's not too bad). Her only complaint is that it's too small for her, but that's not too big of a problem.

Available for Scouting?: Maybe. Contact me about it.

7. #27 Re: The Microphone Guide 
    Is it worth getting a mic preamp? I'm using an Alesis Multimix 8 USB for interfacing with my computer.
    My Demos and Auditions

Current Projects: Dawn of War mod (Various units, 2500+ lines so far)
    The voice of Malachite and Helios.
    Available for scouting - deep, mature male voice.

8. #28 Re: The Microphone Guide 
    The Voice of Raven and Applejack GooldenVixen's Avatar
    i use a CAD U37 USB - love it
    Important Note: I have a speech impairment. If it acts up, ask for a retake and remind me to slow down please. I also have a North American Southern Accent that I don’t know how to neither hide nor control; my accent comes and goes I guess.

AVAILABLE FOR SCOUTING!

Current VA Roles:

Teen Titans Fandubs by Solink & GooldenVixen - Raven [Self Cast]

Completed Roles:

Through Angel's Eyes [visual/audio presentation] by mingo - Angel

9. #29 Re: The Microphone Guide 
    Quote Originally Posted by Relic View Post
    Is it worth getting a mic preamp? I'm using an Alesis Multimix 8 USB for interfacing with my computer.
    What mic are you using? Your Alesis already has built in pres, but if you find you really have to crank the gain hard to get a decent signal, you may want to look into a pre with more juice. But if you're getting a good clean signal and you think things are sounding fine, no need to buy a separate pre.
    Check one-two on the microphone . . . samples are HERE.

10. #30 Re: The Microphone Guide 
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottStoked View Post
    What mic are you using? Your Alesis already has built in pres, but if you find you really have to crank the gain hard to get a decent signal, you may want to look into a pre with more juice. But if you're getting a good clean signal and you think things are sounding fine, no need to buy a separate pre.
    Right now I'm using an Audio-Technica AT-2020, but I'm upgrading to a Rode NT1-A on Monday. I usually leave the gain right in the middle - if I raise it much beyond the middle it starts picking up noise from down the street, heh. As such I typically adjust volume via the channel and master volume knobs.
    My Demos and Auditions

Current Projects: Dawn of War mod (Various units, 2500+ lines so far)
    The voice of Malachite and Helios.
    Available for scouting - deep, mature male voice.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast