Thread: "I'll Make a BLU Out of You" - A Team Fortress 2 Parody (Deadline EXTENDED)

1. #1 "I'll Make a BLU Out of You" - A Team Fortress 2 Parody (Deadline EXTENDED) 
    TF2chan Member on a Mission! ToastDavidson's Avatar
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSS5dEeMX64"]YouTube- Mulan - i'll make a man out of you[/ame]

Greetings! I'm sure all of you are familiar with the song "I'll Make a Man Out of You" from Disney's Mulan. As a frequenter of TF2chan, I've come to the VAA in hopes of completing a board audio project that parodies this song using the nine iconic classes from Team Fortress 2. The lyrics have been done for quite some time (you can read them below), but we've been looking for voice actors/singers willing to bring the glory of this song to the ears of the Internet.

Spoiler:     

We have most of the main roles filled, but we still need a Medic, a Demoman, and a heck of a lot of Chorus members. I should note, however, that "I'll Make a BLU Out of You" is strictly "for the lulz"; that is, the only reward for participating in this audio project is the fact that you will bring great joy to TF2 fans everywhere, perhaps even VALVe itself. Oh, and you'll also receive a complimentary Internet handshake from yours truly.

UPDATE: For reference, here's "I'll Make a BLU Out of You" so far. Feel free to comment and/or critique on my amateur mixing work!

Recording and Contact Information
    This project requires as many voice actors as possible (mostly because of the Chorus), so I'm setting the deadline to November 28 (12:00 PM Eastern Standard Time). Please send your auditions (which can be one or two lines from either the song or TF2 itself) to swordvanman@yahoo.com in the following format:

1.) 44100hz 16-bit Stereo WAV/MP3
    2.) Lines should be saved as "charactername_yourname_linenumber" (For example, "sniper_tapediggity_line20" or "soldier_flamey_28-31")
    3.) Multiple lines should be sent as a .ZIP/.RAR archive
    4.) Chorus members should record the line "BE A BLU" separately; it makes mixing easier...
    5.) Send questions, comments, or concerns via e-mail (again, swordvanman@yahoo.com) rather than private message

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px5c8vKXGx8&feature=related&fmt=18"]YouTube- Team Fortress 2 - Medic Voice Clips (High Quality)[/ame]
    Medic
    Bio (via TF2wiki): "What he lacks in compassion for the sick, respect for human dignity, and any sort of verifiable formal training in medicine, the Medic more than makes up for with a bottomless supply of giant needles and a trembling enthusiasm for plunging them into exposed flesh. Raised in Stuttgart, Germany during an era when the Hippocratic oath had been downgraded to an optional Hippocratic suggestion, the Medic considers healing a generally unintended side effect of satisfying his own morbid curiosity."
    Voice Type: Male; German; Disdainful
    Line Spoken: #15 ("Mein gott, I zink I have ein krampf")

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0FQv9oPqX0&feature=related&fmt=18"]YouTube- Team Fortress 2 - Demoman Voice Clips (High Quality)[/ame]
    Demoman
    Bio (via TF2wiki): "A fierce temper, a fascination with all things explosive, and a terrible plan to kill the Loch Ness Monster cost the six year old Demoman his original set of adoptive parents. Later, at the Crypt Grammar School for Orphans near Ullapool in the Scottish Highlands, the boy's bomb-making skills improved dramatically. His disposition and total number of intact eyeballs, however, did not."
    Voice Type: Male; Scottish; Irritable; Occasionally Slurred
    Line Spoken: #16 ("Bloody hell, me othah eyeball")

The Chorus
    Ain't much characterization to describe about this one. The Chorus occurs in Lines 21-27 and Lines 36-49, and it needs to be just as comically heroic as the original song's chorus. The only issue with this is that we as many voices as possible in order to convey a real sense of scope; it's kind of a tribute to TF2, after all. Knowing this, neither gender nor voice type matters in the Chorus; just send in a recording or two if you're even remotely interested!

Auditions Received
    Koden (Heavy)

Again, e-mail me at swordvanman@yahoo.com if you have any questions or observations. I'll put up a list of received auditions/lines as they come up. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by ToastDavidson; 11-24-2009 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Deadline extended by a week!

2. #2 Re: "I'll Make a BLU Out of You" - A Team Fortress 2 Parody (Deadline - November 21) 
    Blog Entries
    Totally willing to help you mix this. This is epic. Sadly, I am a girl, and I don't think I could pull off the Heavy or Demoman to well. Dx

3. #3 Re: "I'll Make a BLU Out of You" - A Team Fortress 2 Parody (Deadline - November 21) 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikki View Post
    Totally willing to help you mix this. This is epic. Sadly, I am a girl, and I don't think I could pull off the Heavy or Demoman to well. Dx
    I'm actually doing pretty well in terms of mixing; Audacity's cool, even for a first-timer. I'll see if I can embed what's been compiled so far in the introductory post (which I'm still working on dag nabbit).

As for your participation, we desperately need volunteers for the song's epic chorus, and neither gender nor voice type matters. Would you happen to be interested?

4. #4 Re: "I'll Make a BLU Out of You" - A Team Fortress 2 Parody (Deadline - November 21) 
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ToastDavidson View Post
    I'm actually doing pretty well in terms of mixing; Audacity's cool, even for a first-timer. I'll see if I can embed what's been compiled so far in the introductory post (which I'm still working on dag nabbit).

As for your participation, we desperately need volunteers for the song's epic chorus, and neither gender nor voice type matters. Would you happen to be interested?
    Potentially! And yeah, I'm using Audacity right now to mix as well. It's not bad when you get the hang of it!

5. #5 Re: "I'll Make a BLU Out of You" - A Team Fortress 2 Parody (Deadline - November 21) 

6. #6 Re: "I'll Make a BLU Out of You" - A Team Fortress 2 Parody (Deadline - November 21) 
    Guess who forgot to embed the latest version of "I'll Make a BLU Out of You"? Me, that's who!

The vocals don't start until a minute or so in, but I'm pretty satisfied with how it's turning out. Feel free to give any suggestions about the editing, mixing, etc.

(Click here if the embedding doesn't seem to work.)
    Last edited by ToastDavidson; 11-14-2009 at 05:55 PM.

7. #7 Re: "I'll Make a BLU Out of You" - A Team Fortress 2 Parody (Deadline - November 21) 
    Squigliest pig around!
    I got the flu right now, but you can bet that I'll be sending in an audition for everyone here once it's over

8. #8 Re: "I'll Make a BLU Out of You" - A Team Fortress 2 Parody (Deadline - November 21) 
    The Greatest Thrill Lies At The Brink Of Insanity DarkPhoenixMishima's Avatar
    I am interested in trying out for the Demoman, I'll send in something when I get the time.
    "With a man's soul and a strong back, go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb!" - Kamina

"History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever."

9. #9 Re: "I'll Make a BLU Out of You" - A Team Fortress 2 Parody (Deadline - November 21) 
    the things you find at the day before deadline >.> I'm tempted to try the heavy since I don't think anyone else has.

10. #10 Re: "I'll Make a BLU Out of You" - A Team Fortress 2 Parody (Deadline - November 21) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Koden View Post
    the things you find at the day before deadline >.> I'm tempted to try the heavy since I don't think anyone else has.
    Funny, I was about to bump this thread as a deadline reminder...

Anyway, thanks for stepping up to be Heavy; we really, really need him. And thanks to everyone who's posted their interest so far; sorry that I didn't get to you guys earlier!

UPDATE:

I've only received Koden's audition so far, and the deadline has already passed. If any of you are still interested in sending in your audition, please send a brief e-mail to swordvanman@yahoo.com ASAP! I'm willing to give an extension for those willing to participate in this project, as long as they're willing to speak up...