Thread: Y. Chang's 2009 Demo Reel

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Y. Chang's 2009 Demo Reel 
    Hey hey hey hey! I'm Y. Chang and this is my first demo reel.

DEMO REEL 2009

Comments and thoughts greatly appreciated.

2. #2 Re: Y. Chang's 2009 Demo Reel 
    That was pretty good! You have a wide vocal range.

3. #3 Re: Y. Chang's 2009 Demo Reel 
    Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica. Cake Batter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hey, you're pretty good! :> I've seen you hanging around the forums a lot lately but this is the first time I've ever heard your voice and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised.

That being said, I think you have a nice range of voices but I feel like you could push the acting some more especially during the "I'm so glad..." line and the "All I cared about..." both of which I think are your two weakest lines in the whole bunch. I'm not sure what the context of the "I'm so glad..." line is but I got the feeling it was supposed to be a sadder line, which I don't think you really managed to convey well. As for the "All I cared about..." I definitely think that should be said with more anger and maybe more dynamics. Play with the volume of your voice more; start off soft and then gradually increase. Don't be afraid to really go there emotionally--your demo really needs a good sad reading and a good angry reading to show more range.

Mixing was good throughout, but I couldn't really understand much of the third voice because of the echo--but it's not too much of a pressing issue. I have to say I'm kind of a little in love with your "prince" voice though. *_* It's nice to have some more male talent on this site and you can bet I'm going to scout you some time in the future. :>

BTW, what mic do you use? It makes your voice sound really clear and crisp.

4. #4 Re: Y. Chang's 2009 Demo Reel 
    Quote Originally Posted by Cake Batter View Post
    I'm not sure what the context of the "I'm so glad..." line is but I got the feeling it was supposed to be a sadder line, which I don't think you really managed to convey well. As for the "All I cared about..." I definitely think that should be said with more anger and maybe more dynamics. [...] Your demo really needs a good sad reading and a good angry reading to show more range.
    The context of the first line is that he's ill and the beeping in the background is the beeping of his heart monitor. I figured the juxtaposition of that sfx with his relatively chipper voice would come through, but I think I'll play with that one a bit more if it's not so strong.

And I totes agree with the second line. It needs more angst. I think if I tweak those two then I'll have a good sad reading and a good angry reading, which would be sweeeeeet.

I use a Samson CO3U condenser microphone, and clean/mix with Adobe Audition.

Anyhow, duly noted, and thanks for the kind words (the prince is pretty hunky, isn't he). You get a gold star for giving the first real critique (finally).

5. #5 Re: Y. Chang's 2009 Demo Reel 
    Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica. Cake Batter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Y. Chang View Post
    The context of the first line is that he's ill and the beeping in the background is the beeping of his heart monitor. I figured the juxtaposition of that sfx with his relatively chipper voice would come through, but I think I'll play with that one a bit more if it's not so strong.
    Mhm, I hear it now. If that's the case I think the first part of the line is fine in that context, but the second "one last time" should maybe be a bit more angsty or sad? I forgot where I read this, but somewhere on this site I remember someone mentioning that in your demo you should make sure that the listener will be able to get an idea who the character is and what's going on just from your voice. It makes for a stronger demo.

And wow, a Samson! You got a nice setup there. :3 Have you done voice acting before? And I can't believe you don't have more comments on here! With the lack of males around here, you'd think they'd be running to listen to you. Anyway, I know its frusturating, but I'm sure once you get to be more "known" around here you'll get tons of feedback.

6. #6 Re: Y. Chang's 2009 Demo Reel 
    Quote Originally Posted by Cake Batter View Post
    I forgot where I read this, but somewhere on this site I remember someone mentioning that in your demo you should make sure that the listener will be able to get an idea who the character is and what's going on just from your voice. It makes for a stronger demo.
    I've read that too; it's very good advice.

No, I'm definitely new to voice acting; the Samson was a hand-me-down from my bro, who wanted to try it but totally got lazy. And yeah, I'm not too well known but I guess that makes sense since I've only recently joined the site. All in good time, i suppose.

7. #7 Re: Y. Chang's 2009 Demo Reel 
    Your demo reel is awesome! most entertaining. I love your lower range, simply excellent. great work!

8. #8 Re: Y. Chang's 2009 Demo Reel 
    Quote Originally Posted by sinmay View Post
    That was pretty good! You have a wide vocal range.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineMC View Post
    Your demo reel is awesome! most entertaining. I love your lower range, simply excellent. great work!
    I'm glad you were entertained! Thank you much.

9. #9 Re: Y. Chang's 2009 Demo Reel 
    That was really good! I especially liked the Ouran takes.
    CURRENTLY CAST AS:

Mathew John in Eclipsing Chaos [Game]

10. #10 Re: Y. Chang's 2009 Demo Reel 
    This was a pretty awesome demo! I listened to it more than once and was entertained each time. You've got great vocal variety and strong sense of character acting. Not only that, but your voice in general has potential for commercials and such. I'd be interested in hearing you do a commercial demo reel as well.

The only critique I have is on the "one last time" blip. I couldn't tell which part of the character spectrum you were on - the one lying in the hospital bed or the one talking to the brother in the bed. Since I was hearing a bit of both, the acting could have used a bit of tweaking, but nothing major. Then again, that's just my amateur opinion.

I'm looking forward to hearing more of you in the future.
    "A refreshing drink. And some."

DEMO || CONTACT

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast