Thread: Voice Conditioning - How Do I Get a Nice Husky Voice?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Voice Conditioning - How Do I Get a Nice Husky Voice? 
    Hi y'all. I've got a question that I really hope you can help me with.

I currently have a quite clear male voice and I would love to "rough it up". ═ don't want to go completely Don Lafontaine but somewhere in that direction. Does anyone here know of a safe way of developing a husky voice..?

Thanks

-Z

2. #2 Re: Voice Conditioning - How Do I Get a Nice Husky Voice? 
    Quote Originally Posted by zeth View Post
    Hi y'all. I've got a question that I really hope you can help me with.

I currently have a quite clear male voice and I would love to "rough it up". ═ don't want to go completely Don Lafontaine but somewhere in that direction. Does anyone here know of a safe way of developing a husky voice..?

Thanks

-Z
    If you're talkin' about a more gravelly voice I can help you out.
    Current Projects:
    The Subway now casting: http://voiceactingalliance.com/board...y-(5M-2F-1-M-F)
    Score for Extraction

Recently Cast In:
    Extraction - Gregory Rikauv

3. #3 Re: Voice Conditioning - How Do I Get a Nice Husky Voice? 
    You're probably better off with that voice, considering EVERY successful male Pro VA has that same damn voice.

Steve Blum aside.

Also gtfo my deep voices.
    "I don't like mean people, rude people, and people that complain to other people about me on the internet."

4. #4 Re: Voice Conditioning - How Do I Get a Nice Husky Voice? 
    Pretty much on an indefinite hiatus. Erica's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll be moving this to the correct section. Maybe you'll get a better response.

Pretty much on an indefinite hiatus.

Twitter || Youtube || Tumblr || Facebook

5. #5 Re: Voice Conditioning - How Do I Get a Nice Husky Voice? 
    Cheers Erica.

Heh, that's true Kuro. There's a lot of David Hayters out there. However I'm not a voice-actor, I'm just looking to tweek my voice a bit. I think a bit of husk would be a great addition, and give a lot of identity. So calm your nerves. I won't be getting my fuck on your deep voices...

What do you mean by gravelly wta2k6? I'm not a native english-speaker, so my vocabulary might not be up to speed

In my interpretation of the word, a voice becomes gravelly when not enough air is reaching the wind pipes - Making it sound excactly like that girl from The Grudge. Husky as I understand it, is more of a crisp layer that's added to the voice, as happens when we naturally ages. I'm looking to fast-forward that process. I've heard judges at singing auditions tell choir-singers that they needed to "rough up their voice" if they wanted to sing in pop-music. So I have reason to believe that there are techniques available for achiving this, without damaging ones voice.

If you know something on this subject wta2k6 I would love to hear from you...

- Z
    Last edited by zeth; 08-01-2008 at 07:19 AM.

6. #6 Re: Voice Conditioning - How Do I Get a Nice Husky Voice? 
    Drink whiskey. Lots of whisky. And smoking. And, guess what ... ? Whiskey!

Might cause problems later on in your life, but hey ;D

If I were you I wouldn't try manipulating your voice _permanently_. Once you damaged your vocal chords you can never go back! A clear strong male voice is great in my opinion!

Roughing up the voice for a little time is possible (e.g. your pop-singers), but after that the voice returns to normal.
    Last edited by HiLoPe; 08-01-2008 at 07:21 AM.

7. #7 Re: Voice Conditioning - How Do I Get a Nice Husky Voice? 
    hilope I love you. Whiskey for all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Batgirl View Post
    listen to Seishiro! (Everyone should)

8. #8 Re: Voice Conditioning - How Do I Get a Nice Husky Voice? 
    A wee bit of Irish pride's the way forward then... Sod it, I'm filling my humidifier with Jack D.. I'll be posting my results *cough*

9. #9 Re: Voice Conditioning - How Do I Get a Nice Husky Voice? 
    Dignity has no place in front of a microphone. Tony's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, don't screw up your voice. You'd just be inviting things like throat cancer and the like. Enjoy whiskey because it's good, not because you want to get anything out of it.

10. #10 Re: Voice Conditioning - How Do I Get a Nice Husky Voice? 
    yeah, funnies aside whiskey isn't going to do you a whole lot of good, and smoking in the long run will give you a deeper voice for sure but will severely limit your range. sandpapering your throat is one of those "by any means necessary" solutions that kindof hurt you in the long run. especially since studios are working more and more towards the average Joe Everyman voice.

the only true answer is to do it naturally. incorporate the lower register of your voice into your everyday life until it becomes easy and natural. having a coach or sitting down with a speech therapist for a few sessions will do you much more good and will give you definite answers that will be custom tailored to your situation when compared to asking for a general rule on the internets.

and jack is from tennessee, if you want some real irish pride go with his good friend Jameson.

EDIT: oh shit 500 posts and no cake... guess I'll have some pie instead... GAHHH no pie left!
    Last edited by Seishiro17; 08-05-2008 at 05:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Batgirl View Post
    listen to Seishiro! (Everyone should)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast