Thread: [Black Lily Defined] THIRD Single RELEASED! Naraku no Hana c/w Tobira no Mukou e!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 [Black Lily Defined] THIRD Single RELEASED! Naraku no Hana c/w Tobira no Mukou e! 
    4 years later and I'm like "Who are you people?!" Lilium's Avatar
    Black Lily Defined presents our third single!

Click here for the website and discography!

Sound Click band information here:
    Black Lily Defined

Lineup: Amdalo, Celira, Eternally Fallen, Lilium, Rayna Black, and guest Nida Richards, standing in for River Angel Odin, who was ill.

Sound Click site (preferred streaming/download method): http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804056

1. Naraku no Hana - When Cicadas Cry - Lyrics - Download
    2. Tobira no Mukou e - Fullmetal Alchemist [Yellow Generation] - Lyrics - Download

Produced by: Lilium
    Mixed by: Lilium
    Special Credits: amdalo for being such a doll and re-recording for Naraku no Hana on short notice, NIda for standing in, and everyone for being patient!
    Special Apologies: What's Up Guys? was supposed to be a special track on this release, but due to some issues, will not be released until the album is ready : ( Sorry guys!

Producer's Notes:

The volume balance is improving compared to prior releases. Rayna still somehow manages to be heard above all else XD I think she's cast a spell on her recordings.

Naraku no Hana There are some SERIOUSLY jumbled spots in here, due to people just not singing the same way. Namely toward the middle in the second chorus.. you'll hear it. Also some pitch problems, but I think Nida's deeper tone helped to balance all the other, higher voices out throughout the group portions. The solos were handled quite well by everyone, and I'm really impressed with Eternally Fallen and Celira in this one. A mixing nightmare, but I somehow did it, and it's presentable.

Tobira no Mukou e Celira and Nida really stood out in this one for me. I apologize for my weak performance, as usual. I think in general, everyone managed to stay on pitch. There are a couple people who had some trouble with their timing on their solos, sounding a bit rushed, but it came together in the end. Overall, I think as a group we're really starting to come together.

Overall Very pleased with everyone. This release is MASSIVELY late - I tried to hold out for What's Up Guys? but it just didn't happen. Also, a few people got sick, including RAO, and I had to have someone cover for her, and basically begged NIda to do so.

BLACK LILY DEFINED NEWS!

We've been pretty high up on the Cover Songs genre charts at Sound Click! A huge round of applause for everyone - that's fantastic for a bunch of Japanese cover songs!

Our rendition of Cruel Angel's Thesis has reached its highest position at #20, Kinjirareta Asobi reached #25, and God Knows reached #38! Please help support us on Sound Click!

--- PAST RELEASES ---

03-25-2008:

Cover art removed. See site for cover art.

Click here for the website and discography!
    If the band clears (IF), you should be able to find the Sound Click band information here:
    Black Lily Defined

Lineup: Amdalo, Celira, Eternally Fallen, Lilium, Rayna Black, River Angel Odin

1. Cruel Angel's Thesis - Evangelion - Lyrics - Download
    2. Feel - Final Fantasy X Image Song - Lyrics - Download

Special Credits: Celira for her excellent harmonizing skillz

Producer's Notes:

The volume is balanced better this time, but still managed to be too loud. I need to reduce the overall loudness of the recordings somehow, while keeping everyone balanced.

Cruel Angel's Thesis I think I had the worst time mixing the karaoke into the audio. For some reason it didn't want to line up where I needed it. If we seem ahead of or behinf the music, this is actually due to the karaoke file not quite matching the original song. No harmonising was done here. I'm very pleased with everyone's performances. Eternally Fallen covered for Mysticmidnightmaiden who seems to be MIA.

Feel Surprisingly simple to mix. A few places where timing couldn't be fixed by editing. Kudos to Celira for her beautiful harmonization in the second and third verses, which really adds new character to this song.

Overall Very pleased with everyone. The release is very late due to computer problems on my end and MMM's vanishing act.

---
    Cover art removed. See website to see old cover art.

02-15-2008

1. God Knows - Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu - Lyrics - Download
    2. Kinjirareta Asobi - Rozen Maiden [originally performed by Ali Project] - Lyrics - Download

Special Credits: Celira for her excellent harmonizing skillz

Producer's Notes:

The mixing for Kinjirareta Asobi was very difficult. I'm not 100% satisfied with God Knows in mixing, and may re-mix it at a later time. I am also not satisfied with my own performances in either song... I've been having throat problems that woudln't go away in time to record, but I think I shoudl go back and correct my own files at some point, at which point I will also be trying to correct my timing and any issues in mixing I decide I need to adjust.

God Knows God Knows was surprisingly easy to mix - the only issues I had were a few places were timing was a bit off. Also, as you will hear, there were a couple of cases of the singers trying different approaches to the music. This sounded fine for me, but made it a little more difficult to mix, and may be changed for later releases.. depending on what I feel I need from my group. There are some spots where individuals went a bit flat, which of course I didn't notice until mixing happened. I may address this at a later time.

Kinjirareta Asobi Hell to mix. I had every file split into at least 10 different sections at some points. The audio was also a pain - volume levels and all. In all I like how the song turned out though - oddly, the verses were the worst with timing problems, otehr than "m" or "sh" sounds, everyone hit the choruses quite perfectly.

Overall I wish some of us had better mics, but we take what we can get. I tried to primarily focus on voices - whether or not they would blend well - and the ability of each person. Which is anotehr reason I am considering re-recording my parts - my own performance was sub-par compared to what I know I'm capable of.

A HUGE kudos and thanks to the members of BLD - you all did a wonderful job. You got me my files by your specified deadline and beCAUSE you were so prompt, I was able to release this first single five days earlier than expected! Thank you all again!
    Last edited by Lilium; 07-01-2008 at 08:24 AM. Reason: 3rd RELEASE!
    ~ Cast In ~
    Calista (Angel X) | Anthy/Teacher (SKU) | Mary Jane (Spiderman Bubble Bodies)| Bishop Laura (Trinity Blood Radio Play) | Chewy (Soul Basket!)

~ Previously Produced ~
    Unexpected Angel Force: SERAPHIM || Black Lily Defined (Cover Group)

~ Completed ~
    .hack//PROMISE || Your Rain || Black Lily Defined New! Naraku no Hana c/w Tobira no Mukou e! || Unexpected Angel Force: SERAPHIM ep 1

~ Currently Casting ~
    SM149 Fandub is CANCELLED due anime's impending decline, in order to not perpetuate this cycle (plus, Premier won't work on my computer : )
    [/center][/size]

2. #2 Re: Black Lily Defined Cover Sample - Kinjirareta Asobi 
    Pretty much on an indefinite hiatus. Erica's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Moving this to the Recording studio. You might get a better response there.

And also, I tried the link twice and it just takes me to the SC homepage.

Pretty much on an indefinite hiatus.

Twitter || Youtube || Tumblr || Facebook

3. #3 Re: Black Lily Defined Cover Sample - Kinjirareta Asobi 
    It actually worked last night, I listened to it.

From what I remember, it sounded quite good for song with six participants! I'd suggest more volume balancing since some voices were drastically softer than others; as well, some mic qualities were a bit stuffy- I think you can fix a bit of that with mixing. But overall, the singers performed quite nicely and the timing was good (timing is so important but difficult in Ali Project songs D: ). A wide range of different vocals, it was interesting~

Hope to hear the full version someday!

tu dis "je pense donc je suis", mais je dis "je chante donc je vis"

THE MANLIEST MAN ON THE VAA

4. #4 Re: Black Lily Defined Cover Sample - Kinjirareta Asobi 
    Quote Originally Posted by Erica View Post
    Moving this to the Recording studio. You might get a better response there.

And also, I tried the link twice and it just takes me to the SC homepage.

Yes, I'm having issues with SoundClick not approving the band's home page.. I can see it.. it's there.. they just.. haven't approved it O.o So I added it to my web host and have the link availible through there. I should remove the sound click one for now.

Quote Originally Posted by yukie View Post
    It actually worked last night, I listened to it.

From what I remember, it sounded quite good for song with six participants! I'd suggest more volume balancing since some voices were drastically softer than others; as well, some mic qualities were a bit stuffy- I think you can fix a bit of that with mixing. But overall, the singers performed quite nicely and the timing was good (timing is so important but difficult in Ali Project songs D: ). A wide range of different vocals, it was interesting~

Hope to hear the full version someday!
    Yes, this prior to the final mixing version. There is actually one more girl to be added, but I have not received her recording yet. I will do the last touchups to audio and timing once I have received her file.

I hope to release the complete version of this song, and a seven-girl version of God Knows on the 15th, but we'll see Thank you for the comment, yukie!
    ~ Cast In ~
    Calista (Angel X) | Anthy/Teacher (SKU) | Mary Jane (Spiderman Bubble Bodies)| Bishop Laura (Trinity Blood Radio Play) | Chewy (Soul Basket!)

~ Previously Produced ~

~ Completed ~
    .hack//PROMISE || Your Rain || Black Lily Defined New! Naraku no Hana c/w Tobira no Mukou e! || Unexpected Angel Force: SERAPHIM ep 1

~ Currently Casting ~
    SM149 Fandub is CANCELLED due anime's impending decline, in order to not perpetuate this cycle (plus, Premier won't work on my computer : )
    [/center][/size]

5. #5 Re: [Black Lily Defined] First Single RELEASED! God Knows c/w Kinjirareta Asobi! 
    Update: Release of first single!
    ~ Cast In ~

~ Previously Produced ~

~ Completed ~

~ Currently Casting ~
    [/center][/size]

6. #6 Re: [Black Lily Defined] First Single RELEASED! God Knows c/w Kinjirareta Asobi! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Celira View Post
    Careful with the links to the songs-- there's an extra "http//" in the link to "God Knows" for some reason that I had to delete.
    I left the " in the beginning by accident - in BBS code I suppose that decided to translate as another http O.o

Self-critique:
    -Thanks for giving me harmonizing credit, hee! Although I'm rather glad I hit every note in God Knows on the dot, I feel like I sang with too much restraint in the last-verse harmony. This is, in part, because my mic never fails to start peaking when I sing high, and also because I thought that my background vocals would hold out fine on their own, but balanced against the weight of six other people I should have perhaps gone stronger. As a lover of collab singing, though, I hope to have the opportunity to do more harmonies later on and improve more!
    Early on you sounded fine, but yes, with the weight of so many others on top it did get a bit weaker sounding. Part of this was also me adjusting volumes. It was rather odd - certain people's voices stand out a LOT more than everyone else's, and playing with volume is something I will have to do continuously through each song we do. I will hopefully find the right balance!

-I went really classical with Kinjirareta Asobi. What the heck was I thinking with all that vibrato? o___o;
    XD You did. I thought it was cute. It is sort of fitting for the song.

Comments:

God Knows
    -We all seem to be a bit ahead of the beat during the second chorus, but that could just be a goof. All in all, not bad. I really liked it! Lilium, I liked some of the melisma that you did later on in the song (I think that was all you? the time after "God knows..." was fantastic)-- the first time, after "---lovin' you" was a little shaky.
    Triple-M actually added the flary bits. She's the most stand-outy of everyone as she's, I believe, the deepest of all of us. I found it really interesting to have her with Amdalo in the God Knows section! If you wonder who did what with any part, you can look at the lyrics - it shows who did which lines It definitely added a very new flavor to the song.

Kinjirareta Asobi
    -I was impressed with everyone's vocal performances, although of course a good number of us were having pitch trip-ups. It's difficult to get pitch on some of those melodies, but I'd suggest that we all listen a lot, lot more carefully. I've got to call RAO out on fabulous vocal control.
    Yes, RAO did magnificently on this song. We were all definitely a bit pitchy - I picked such a damn hard song XD And it's not like the majority of our fare are much easier than that.

Everyone was fantastic! I loved listening to these. Keep at it, and I'll try to ramp up my sucky mic situation someday. Or nip back up to NYC and record.
    I only disagree on the fantastic part because I sounded incredibly strained and weak on both songs XD I'm totally leaning toward re-recording, especially God Knows.

I'm almost positive that we'll be redoing these songs in the future, possibly for the album. I see it as a growing experience - I don't expect our very first releases to be the best
    ~ Cast In ~

~ Previously Produced ~

~ Completed ~

~ Currently Casting ~
    [/center][/size]

7. #7 Re: [Black Lily Defined] First Single RELEASED! God Knows c/w Kinjirareta Asobi! 
    Buh! Sorry, I definitely misread the colors thanks to the wonky tilt of my screen. Major kudos go to MMM for the little melismatic bits, then. <3

8. #8 Re: [Black Lily Defined] First Single RELEASED! God Knows c/w Kinjirareta Asobi! 
    Wow mixing this must have been hell, but you did very well with both songs.

The vocals are very strong, as need be and the emotion is great too. In some parts it's lacking a little in emotion for God Knows though.

Overall, a great job!

note: Good pronounciation too!

9. #9 Re: [Black Lily Defined] First Single RELEASED! God Knows c/w Kinjirareta Asobi! 
    Quote Originally Posted by andy ichigo View Post
    Wow mixing this must have been hell, but you did very well with both songs.

The vocals are very strong, as need be and the emotion is great too. In some parts it's lacking a little in emotion for God Knows though.

Overall, a great job!

note: Good pronounciation too!
    Thank you! One of my favorite things about my group is that they all pronounce the Japanese lyrics really well. <3
    ~ Cast In ~

~ Previously Produced ~

~ Completed ~

~ Currently Casting ~
    [/center][/size]

10. #10 Re: [Black Lily Defined] Second Single RELEASED! Cruel Angel's Thesis c/w Feel! 
    Second single has been released!
    ~ Cast In ~

~ Previously Produced ~

~ Completed ~

~ Currently Casting ~
    [/center][/size]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast