Thread: Batch processing of audio files with Audacity?

1. #1 Batch processing of audio files with Audacity? 
    Let's say that I had several recordings, and I wanted to amplify all of them by the same set amount, and then save them back out. Does Audacity have a batch mode that I've missed? Some other tool?

TIA,
    Ewan
    Producer of Original Anime and Visual Novels.
    Last Project - YKK Fanimations:
    Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō

Next Project - Camp Handiba

2. #2 Re: Batch processing of audio files with Audacity? 
    Hmmm. Tricky one, I have an old version which doesn't have a batch tab in prefs. I'm assuming from your website that your windows? Linux and apple wise it might be possible to bundle audacity into a script, or one may already exist. I'll take a mooch around........

Right, audacity doesn't seem to like getting jacked open too much (in the linux sence of the word anyway, it doesn't even have a --help entry (very unsporting)).

In the mean time;

http://audacityteam.org/forum/forum....=thread&id=170

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/down...ures-1.3-g.php

http://blogged.btvillarin.com/2006/0...with-audacity/

The third one has a method for reducing bit size but it's for a beta version (I realise this bit you'll know, but some of the kids won't so humor me) so don't overwrite your existing files, just in case it craps out on you and leaves you will a null or partial directory.

So take a browse as there might be something of use here.
    Last edited by ClymAngus; 12-09-2006 at 11:06 AM.

3. #3 Re: Batch processing of audio files with Audacity? 
    Appreciate the pointers. It's not something I expect to do often, but at the moment it is rather high on my list of things to do. Such is life if you have multiple folks recording, and can't offer to bring them into the studio I suppose

I'm curious, though, how do folks handle this on fandubs? I would think they'd run into some of the same problems?
    Producer of Original Anime and Visual Novels.
    Last Project - YKK Fanimations:
    Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō

Next Project - Camp Handiba

4. #4 Re: Batch processing of audio files with Audacity? 
    Quote Originally Posted by EwanG View Post
    Appreciate the pointers. It's not something I expect to do often, but at the moment it is rather high on my list of things to do. Such is life if you have multiple folks recording, and can't offer to bring them into the studio I suppose
    Well there is that, the bigger problem I tend to find is the EQ issues that go with a variety of different mics recording in a variety of different acustic areas. These's a certain amount of fudging that can be done but still, It can lead to sleepless nights that's for sure.

That said beggers can't be choosers. I think of it as a creative challenge instead of a quality headache. Doesn't make it any easier but I come to the work with a slightly better attitude